Thursday, January 8, 2009

Thursday's Random Thoughts

Welcome back to another weekly installment of my random thoughts. I took a couple of weeks off, and I'm sure it was tough for you to get by without knowing exactly what has been going on in my head. ;) So here goes:
In high school, I was way interested in serial killers. No, not like those crazies who fall in love with them and want to marry them. I was just very intrigued by how their minds worked. I really wanted to study criminology in college and become a criminologist so that I could see what made these guys tick. My mom talked me out of it. She said I wouldn't want to be pregnant and going into prisons to interview these murderers. I think she was right. Definitely don't think it was the correct career path for me.

Until last year (technically 2007), I didn't know the correct words to "Jingle Bells". When the chorus says "in a one horse open sleigh", I always sang "in a one horse hopin' sleigh". I didn't understand the meaning, but it sounded right to me. Credit my father-in-law with correcting me on that one.

You know, I have absolutely no idea how much a stamp costs these days. Every time I have to run in to get a stamp, I take $.50 and hope it's enough. It always is. I'm guessing it's 40 something cents.

My husband, who I love dearly, has never seen anything. When I say that, I mean movies. Through the years, I have discovered that my husband must have never watched movies or tv growing up (not necessarily a bad thing, just strange considering the movies he's never seen). Let me give you some of the more common ones: Grease, Ghost, The WIZARD OF OZ (what?!?), Goonies, The Outsiders... the list goes on. Can you believe it? Who has never seen Grease or The Wizard of Oz??? Chang, I love you anyway!

So during the ultrasound yesterday, my ultrasound tech was amazed at how big our baby girl is. As she was measuring, before we found out the gender, she asked me how big my boys were. I told her 8 lb 10 oz and 9 lb. She asked me if I had a history of gestational diabetes, and I told her I didn't. I just have big babies. Well, apparently we're having an amazon woman. This baby is already 10 oz and in the 95th percentile for size. Nice, right? The tech said, "But you're so small..." Yep, so be expecting another HUGE belly.

Old Wives Tales: Never put much stock into them until this pregnancy. SO many of them were right on target. Let me share with you my quiz results at 72% change I am having a girl:
You are carrying the extra weight out front, so it's a boy.
The hair on your legs is not growing any faster during your preganacy, so it's a girl.
Boys a
re carried low. You are going to have a boy.
Sleeping in a bed with your pillow to the south indicates that you will be having a girl.
Your feet are not colder than they were before pregnancy. You are having a girl.
You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread. You are having a girl.
Dad-to-be hasn't been gaining weight along with Mom-to-be, so it will be a girl.
The maternal grandmother doesn't have gray hair (dyed or natural), so a girl will be born.
You h
ad morning sickness early in pregnancy, so you are expecting a girl.
You are not looking particularly good during pregnancy. Therefore, it must be a girl, because girls steal their mother's looks. This one is one of the most dramatic for me. My skin has been breaking out, and it never did that before. I look terrible most of the time. It may not be right for most, but this was the biggest change in pregnancies for me.
Your chest development has been quite dramatic during pregnancy. You should expect a girl.
In all fairness, with all pregnancies, my chest gets pretty large. This time, I'm about the same size but grew slower.
Since the sum of the mother's age at conception and the number of the month of conception is an odd number, it will be a girl. The Chinese Lunar Calendar also predicted girl.
You are craving sweets, which means that it is a girl.
Your nose h
asn't changed during pregnancy, which indicates a girl.
You have been craving fruits, so it is a girl. LIKE CRAZY!!!
Your baby's heart rate is 140 or more beats per minute, so it's a girl. 145 to be exact!
You must have orange juice every day, so it's a girl.
You are not having headaches, so it's a girl.
Your belly looks like a basketball, so it's a boy. I guess. I can't really tell.
You use the handle, so it's a boy. This is talking about a mug. I'm not really sure on this one. I don't know what I do. I just guessed.

So the Old Wives Tales were pretty accurate. Amazing!

I am trying really hard not to steal Channing's thunder in naming this baby. I named both our boys and already have two names I'm trying to decide between for this one. I'm waiting, though, because I want to give Channing an chance to think of something. Most names he's given me, I haven't pa
rticularly liked, but I'm still giving him a chance. He had his favorite name picked out, but our sweet friends, Jon and Karen, are using it for their precious little girl (they had no idea that we ever liked that name). I think he's still in mourning. :) We never thought we would have a girl, so it didn't really matter. I LOVE the name, but haven't been able to picture myself with an Ansley for a long time. I think Ansley will fit perfectly in the Mitchell family. I love it, and I love them!!! :) I have some other ideas up my sleeve...two names that are really uncommon. We'll see what happens. :):):)

It's amazing how God works. When we were pregnant with boys, and didn't know the gender, we easily picked out b
oys names and struggled with girls names. This time, while pregnant with a girl, we have a few girls names and ZERO boys names. WEIRD and COOL!

Ok, so that's all I've got for today. I'm going pretty light this week. I've gotta get myself back in the flow. I had TONS of thoughts going on the past couple of weeks that I wanted to write about, but of course, I've forgotten what they are. How about you? Any random thoughts you want to share. You know they make my day!

9 comments:

holly said...

we have a girl name (and several backups), but can't think of a boy name...maybe you can help me since you are so good at naming boys! tadd and i can't agree on a boy name for some reason :(

annieck said...

Maybe that means you're having a girl (I think you are anyway). I easily came up with names for our boys, but this time, I have nothing for a boy. I am NO help. :) SORRY!!!
I can't wait to find out what you're having. I was thinking about you yesterday and was wondering why I wasn't positive what you were having. Now I know why.
Can't wait to see you this weekend!

Amy said...

I still cannot believe that Channing hasn't seen The Goonies. I hope that you have plans to remedy this.
I thought I was the only one who took fifty cents hoping it was enough to buy a stamp even though I know it only cost forty something cents.
I have the same interest as far as how the minds of criminals particularly serial killers work. It just amazes me that they can look so normal yet be so very demented. I think my interest in this freaks my husband out a little.
Enjoyed your randomness...

Jeremy and Michelle said...

how nice that you got to name your boys - I was told even before we were married that daddy's get to name boys and mommy's name the girls - I didn't argue at the time because it wasn't really worth it but I later learned he was serious. He had the boys names picked out pretty much and I just rearranged them. Since he used family names in both I had a hard time arguing against them. But if we have another boy it's all me! Happy name hunting!

shlane said...

First- Congratulations!
Second- Wizard of Oz, Goonies? Come on! Those are my favorites.
Last- Those are the craziest Old Wives Tales I've ever heard! Did you google them or did people actually tell you those?

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Um, Goonies???? Greatest movie of all times??
And stamps are 42 cents- I just bought a roll and a book today.
And that's exciting about the names- fun times.
LOVED all the old wives tales. I should have compared all mine, but I wasn't thinking while I was reading. Guess I was drifting in my own random thoughts!

Like- why am I reading blogs when I have a huge PILE of work to do in my office? ;)

The Hoppers said...

Based on the Old Wives Tales I am having twins! One each. I think I hit all the Old Wives Tales with Lawson with the exception of no morning sickness. And this one is going quite the same way. With a little more nausea. I love fruit, but I also love cucumbers and tomatoes with balsamic vinagrette. Yum! What does that mean?

Good luck on the names. We had Lawson's name picked out and that was easy. With this one we aren't so sure with boys names. We think we have the girl's name just in case. There is a lot of pressure with naming a child.

The Hoppers said...

I will totally find out! We can't wait!

AngelGirl said...

i'm happy that the wives tales worked out for YOU! most of them were WRONG for me!!! i particularly like adrienne for a girl!!don;t you??? ;)