Monday, March 30, 2009

Ramblings of a Pregnant Woman in Her Last Trimester

I've made it. I am in the coveted last trimester of pregnancy. I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel. This pregnancy won't actually last forever. :) Yea! This is great. This is motivating. This gives me hope. Though I've been in the last trimester for a couple of weeks, there is something about being 30 weeks that makes me feel like I'm almost to the finish line.

Overall, though, this pregnancy has been a really great one. I had some yucky morning sickness in the first trimester, but I made it. The first 12 weeks went by pretty quickly, especially since we only told like two couples we were expecting (that kept me from the constant complaining that I'm sure no one wanted to hear. Well, Channing had to hear it, but other than that, I was forced to keep it to myself.). The second trimester was an easy one. I felt really good, and it seemed to breeze by.Thing is, it's getting tougher. My belly is starting to get heavy, and by heavy, I mean...I tire of standing for more than five minutes. Sleep is often interrupted, and I'm oh so tired. I often need an afternoon nap. Carrying my toddler around has proven to be a difficult task, and most people that see me assume that I'm a week or two from delivering (just one of the joys of getting a ginormous belly).

I must say, it's embarrassing to have to lean over the chair in front of me every five minutes during worship at church on Sundays and Wednesday nights to relieve the weight of my belly. If I wasn't afraid of looking like a big wimp, I would just sit down (oh don't worry, that day will come).

Oh, and with this pregnancy comes the distinct joy of being able to don a maternity swimsuit, something I was able to avoid with my March and April babies. JOY!The last trimester is a tough one, but I am constantly reminding myself to enjoy this time. This will likely (VERY likely) be the last time I ever carry a child; the last time I will feel a baby kick and move around inside my belly, the last time I will grace maternity clothes (SO sad ;)). I know that once Rhiannon is born, I will miss having her all to myself. I will miss her movements inside my tummy. That will be tough. It will be even tougher knowing that I will never feel that movement again. It kind of, a very small kind of, makes me want to be pregnant for even longer.

Because of the things we want for our family, and the things we want to do with our kids, it is important that we stop at three. Three seems just right for us, and God couldn't have worked out the timing and genders more perfectly for us. Though I always pictured myself with three boys, God surprised me with a girl, a challenge. :) I love that he gave us a girl last, after two boys. I love that Rhiannon will have two fabulous big brothers looking out for her. Thank you, God!Each week, day, my feelings about having a girl change. Most days, I am elated, on top of the moon! I love this little girl and can't wait to meet her. There are days, in all honesty, where I am super nervous and almost sad that I'm having a girl. I mean, I'm a boy mom . I do boy things. I buy boy clothes. I get boys.
When it comes to girls, I get super nervous about the "girl attitude" that many little girls have (NOT ALL. I know it's all in the raising. I keep trying to remind myself of that. I know some really really sweet little girls. Many of you have sweet little girls).

I get nervous about starting completely over with wardrobe. I mean, I had lots of boy clothes, and now I have to start over with tights, dresses, bubbles, bows, and puddle jumpers. That brings me to my taste. I have expensive taste when it comes to dressing a girl, and it's kind of a problem. I went in my absolute favorite store in town and fell in love with about at least 10 $80-$100 dresses and bubbles. I can't spend $80 on less than a foot of fabric, on an outfit that she'll likely wear twice. SAD! I am spending LOTS of time on ebay, though!Ok, so the countdown is on. I am going to be meeting this precious little bundle of joy and blessing very soon. I know that once she is here, my fears will be calmed, and I will fall in love all over again. I know that she will be the most fantastic way to end our baby-making. I can't wait!!!

Sorry for the total ramble. My writing probably makes little sense, but I just had to put my wild and crazy thoughts down so that I can look back at them in a few years to remember how I felt at this important time. Sorry to bore you!

Thank you, God, for my sweet kiddos. I am beyond blessed!

17 comments:

Rachael said...

You are blessed and you will be a great mom to this sweet baby girl! I can't wait to meet Rhiannon either! Enjoy these last few weeks. :)

LeAnne said...

i LOVE this post, annie!! enjoy this last trimester and take a seat when you need to...i mean, you are growing a person in there:) i have to tell you that i've seen some pregger pics of you around (on facebook most likely) and you look totally adorable!!

Amy Kennedy said...

I know what you mean about the clothes! They are super pricy for the cute dresses and bubbles for the girls. I have been to 3 consignment sales this spring and gotten the CUTEST little smocked dresses and such for the summer for Hayes=$5 and $10 a piece. They look brand new b/c they really do only wear them once or twice before they outgrow them. Also, we have a GREAT children's consignment store in Homewood called Short and Sweet-you could find LOTS in there for Miss Rhiannon for semi-good :) prices! Hang in there-you do not have too much longer to go!

Matt, Carrie, Lucy and Molly Allen said...

i am with you annie! since we are so close in our pregnancies, i have some of the same feelings you do..this is our 2nd and will probably be our last also, and i need to remember to cherish it! the only difference is that this is my 2nd girl and am very excited...and scared too! raising girls isn't always easy and there is extra drama and worries about when they are teens, etc...but thank the Lord we are not alone in this and can always seek His guidance as we parent these girls! i am always praying over lucy when she is sleeping, for her future husband, that he will be a godly man and that the Lord will protect her sweet heart!
carrie

tarheelmom said...

I read your random thoughts last week and thought of you yesterday evening...
they were advertising a show for tonight on TLC (I think), you know the one with Jon & Kate plus 8, called something like I Didn't Even Know I Was Pregnant. I am like you...how, how, how can you NOT know. I'm gonna try to find it tonight. I'm not sure if I'm gonna buy their stories!

Unknown said...

oh, annie! I felt exactly the same as you about raising a different gender when I found out my second would be a boy. I mean, I really was in the groove of the girl thing and what was I going to do with a boy? Twenty two months later, I am doing just fine even though I wish I could sew clothes for him, too. I hope the rest of this pregnancy is sweet, restful, and memorable for you. You have all of our permissions to sit down during praise and worship, btw. I was sitting down when I reached six months; I am a baby, I admit.

Amber Brockett said...

Wow Annie the time has flown by to me!! I cant believe you are in your last trimester...so excited for you guys!! And you are going to be a great mama to a precious baby girl!!!

The Hairstons said...

Congratulations on being in the 3rd trimester! Wooohooo! You are going to be a WONDERFUL mommy to a girl! I can't wait to meet Rhiannon! I love her so much already!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

I loved this post because I think if you have ever been pregnant then you have thought these same things at 30 weeks.
Having worn a maternity swimming suit BOTH times I was pregnant, though, I'll tell you that I LOVED it!!! It was the only time I never had to suck in a a bathing suit. Have fun!!

Lucy said...

Seriously when I saw the "Finish Line" pic I thought your pregnant self ran some kind of race! I must be losing it! Hope the remainder of your pregnancy is uneventful and baby girl comes when she's ready!

Brandy said...

Good Luck, Annie! I am with you on the prices of girls clothes! That is where a lot of my "fun" money seems to go! I have that cherry dress and LOVE it! It gets so many compliments and Annabelle looks so cute in it-it was worth the $59! Smocked dresses usually have an extra long hem in them that can be let out for another years wear! I just let out 4 of AB's dresses from last year and they look good as new!
Take a seat whenyou need to! I am praying for you and your family :)

Elyse said...

You're so funny! Like Lucy, I thought you ran some sort of race. I mean, 30 weeks...not sure about that :o) Have you checked out windmillkids.com? If not, you should go there and sign up for their sale email alerts. The clothes are new, hand sewn and hand smocked and the prices are great. I know why smocking is so expensive...it's very time consuming. I'm not sure how windmillkids does it, but they have some awesome sales. If I would have thought about it before, I would have sent it to you. I've seen, felt and touched the things they've made and the quality is great! If you go to a specialty store for your smocked outfits, you'll end up spending more money. You might get lucky and find someone who will smock for you...a dress that's already pleated usually costs around $30 and you might find someone who will smock a design for you...never know!
Also, I know you'll be a wonderful mom to this little girl. I love girls and am so glad you're having one! Even though you have the boys, you'll quickly learn to be a "girl" mom...I just know it!

holly said...

check this out annie. this is our christian radio station morning show blog, and they were talking about the "thing that is scarier than a snuggie" and I thought of you...this is creepy! http://brantsblogofawesomeness.typepad.com/
Also, I have 2 cute and tasteful maternity swimsuits to send your way, and next time tadd's down there, I'll hook you up sista!

annieck said...

Holly, that IS freaky! EEEEWWW!
Thanks for loaning me your suits! Can't wait. :)
Elyse, thanks for the site!
Brandy, you got that dress for $59?! It was $80 at my store!

Amy said...

Honey you go ahead and post your pregnancy ramblings. I will enjoy reading them and relate to most of them as well.
Now give me some randomness. It's Thursday.

Brandy said...

Yea! $59.00, your store may be a little overpriced-as they ALL are! If you really want it, let me know and I will see if there are any left.

Grethel Van Epps said...

wow Annie, it's going super fast!!.. I bet you look super cute, where are some pics?!?
Don't forget I owe you a session!!!.. ;)
oh Allison's wardobre is probably 3 times more expensive than mine.. LOL