Friday, January 18, 2008

What Does it Take to Look Good?

Last weekend while in Atlanta, I was paid a huge compliment. I was at a seminar and ran in the hotel gift shop for a quick snack during one of the breaks. The cashier there told me that I didn't look a day over 16. "Who, me?! Wow! Thanks!" I was thrilled! Since I am now called "Ma'am" constantly by every polite and well-meaning teenager I come in contact with, it was nice to hear that someone out there doesn't think I look 60. Thank you, wonderful Atlanta lady!
These days, a common "compliment" I hear is, "You look good...for someone with two kids." In my head, this is what I hear...

for someone with two kids
for someone with two kids
for someone with two kids
What does that mean exactly?
Does that mean if I didn't have two kids I would look rough? What should someone with two kids look like exactly? And most importantly...what does it take to look good? Yep, that's right. I want to just look good. Has that point passed? Is it possible to achieve?
Those of you moms out there know what I'm talking about. I'm sure you've heard the same thing. "For a mom, you look great." Are we supposed to stop expecting to be women to be attractive once they've had kids? Is the whole idea forbidden. Or truly...do we just look good...for moms with two kids? I don't know. I'm sure I'll never know. In the meantime, I guess I'll cherish my compliment because I'm sure there are some people out there who don't look good for someone with two kids (whatever that may mean).

0 comments: