Friday, June 6, 2008

Does This Bother Anyone Else?

Channing left the playroom t.v. on this morning, and it was tuned in to INSP (Inspiration Network). As I was checking my email, I happened to hear a televangelist speaking, and it really disturbed me. It's still on, and the more I see and hear, the more it upsets me. This "pastor" just announced that after he prays with us (please wait until I've prayed), he wants us to "Obey God and sow a $1,000 seed". He expects 1,000 people to call in and donate $1,000. I am NOT KIDDING! The more I listen, the more I hear. Now he's saying, "God has spoken to me and said that someone is watching and has a lawsuit. Sow your $1,000, even if you don't have it, and you will be blessed. Nothing happens if you don't use your faith. Some other comments, "Use $1,000 on your credit card, and your seed will be sown even faster. If you have credit card debt, this is what you need to do." AND "You know you don't have $1,000. Sow it anyway. Use your retirement, your kids' college money. This will be one of the most miraculous things you've done in your life." He keeps repeating, "Many of you don't have the $1000, send it anyway. You think 4% interest in your bank account is good, try 100%." WHAT?! Are you kidding me?! For some reason, this just makes me sick to my stomach. Don't get me wrong, I totally believe in giving and know that it is an absolute necessity. The money doesn't belong to us anyway. However, the Bible says, "We receive freely so we should give freely, not under compulsion." I think this guy is taking advantage of hurting people and is doing it in the name of Jesus. I hurts my heart.

4 comments:

Rachael said...

That hurts my heart too. I have seen that same thing many times. Edward and I could not believe it one night when we heard someone challenge people to use their credit cards to sow a seed, even if they did not have the money. That TOTALLY contradicts the Bible! It is really sickening. I am with Pastor Chris...if people like that "need" the money so bad that their ministries will go under...let them go!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

That is sick-o.

These Three Kings said...

this is very sad..wow.. it not only hurts my heart but also drives me to compassion for that minister.. he is only leading other astray because of the LIES he has believed himself.. I pray the LORD in his patient anger reveals truth to all those who have fallen for this..

this is why it is so important to share truth.. we are all so easily deceived
thanks for posting

Nicole

Alyssa @ KeepingTheKingdomFirst said...

Hello, Annieck! Thank you so much for linking me!

I am deeply disturbed by this "Pastor's" words. To encourage Christians to go deeper into debt is downright blasphemous in my book. The Bible clearly states that debt (consumer) is a sin.

Thank you for sharing this!