Sunday, October 11, 2009

A New Position

This is Tristan's first season playing baseball. He's played two seasons of t-ball, but this fall, he began the big journey of baseball. Bye bye, tee. Hello, coach pitch. Channing and I thought Tristan would excel because he's always done so well when we've pitched him the ball. What we did not foresee was his summer golf lessons interfering with his baseball skills. You see, he used to have a beautiful baseball swing. Now, he has a beautiful golf swing (the golf pro said that Tristan played beyond his years~my proud mom brag) ;). He's gotten his swings confused, and we're having a hard time correcting this problem. Hopefully, if we keep working, we'll get there. Now that leaves us with the dilemma as to whether or not we should continue golf lessons. Not to mention tennis. We had planned on doing those lessons as well. Three different sports with three different swings. A little too much confusion for a five year old. *sigh*

Anyway, since it's fall ball, and the coaches are merely preparing the boys for the spring (when it gets really serious...aka: crazy parents), the boys all get to try out all the different field positions. So far, Tristan has been first base, second base (his better position), and this afternoon, catcher. I have to admit, I was pretty nervous when I looked up and saw Tristan walking out in the catcher's gear. Prior to today, he's had no experience with that position. He usually plays second. I kind of had his first base experience flooding through my brain (it wasn't a good showing).I shouldn't have been nervous. He did great! He was a little slow about it a couple of times and had to be encouraged to hustle, but all in all, he did well. I was very proud of my little man, and I thought he was the cutest little catcher I had ever seen! Of course, I'm not at all biased. :)
Way to go, Tristan! Mommy is so proud of you!!!

3 comments:

The Hairstons said...

I forgot that he was playing fall ball!!! He does look oh so cute in his little catcher's gear!

The Greenfields said...

he looks so big!!!

sellers6 said...

My son plays catcher and he's a lefty. I was terrified at first, but he loves it so much! And seeing him so happy behind the plate makes me happy! Enjoy ball!