Monday, July 7, 2008

On My Way to a Cleansed Liver

It's been a tough day. Channing and I just started a 21 day detoxification and purification cleanse. Channing is beyond thrilled. I, on the other hand, am counting down my 21 days as if I were in a prison. I'm the old fashioned southern girl. I like to eat...a lot! I am all about health, but nutrition is one area where I need a lot of work. I eat a lot and a lot of the wrong things. Give me candy, ice cream, and fried chicken fingers (from Guthries, of course), and I'm happy. Give me 10 supplements to take three times a day, along with boring meat and veggies (no Sonic slushes), and I'm a little sad.

This is Channing's second or third cleanse but only my first. Although I'm not excited about the process, I am thrilled about the impending results. I'm excited to clean out my liver because I know it is SO important. It's the filter of my body. It can only work well if it's not loaded with junk. Too, and my super main focus, is that I will probably lose some weight (Channing keeps reminding me that the liver should be my main focus. Yeah, yeah. That too. ;)). YEA!!! I am ready to lose what's left of the baby pooch.

The cleanse we're doing is from Standard Process. It's a great company that uses all organic supplements. And, according to Standard Process, there are approximately 80,000 synthetic chemicals registered for use in the U.S. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that hundreds of these chemicals are present in our bodies. Research has shown that many of these chemicals can disrupt our immune, endocrine, nervous, and reproductive systems. Then they list the following as examples of external and internal toxins:

External Toxins:
Air and water pollutants
Caffeine
Cigarette Smoke
Cosmetics
Heavy metals
Household cleaning products
Pesticides and herbicides
Pharmaceuticals
Preservatives

Internal Toxins:
Ammonia
Carbon dioxide
Free radicals

We've had several patients in our office who have gotten GREAT results, so I'm excited to join their ranks. Now if I can just remind myself that this is good for me, I'll be doing well. ;)

7 comments:

LeAnne said...

wow, good for you guys! you'll have to let us know how it goes and what kind of results you have. Good luck!!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

You can do anything for 3 weeks! Go Annie! You can do it!!! That liver will be sparkling!

The Hairstons said...

As appealing as a clean liver does sound, I'm glad it's you who's doing this and not me!! It doesn't sound like a fun diet!

Donna said...

Could you do this program if you were pregnant? I would LOVE to detox- but wonder if I should wait.

annieck said...

Leisha, you're right. It's NOT fun. :)
Hillary, love that! "Sparkling liver"...hilarious!
Thanks, Leanne!
Donna, I wouldn't do it while you're pregnant. I think it would be great to do once you've had the baby and if you're not nursing or once you've finished nursing. As a matter of fact, Asher is still nursing some, and I've noticed his bowels seem to have been affected since I started. I may have to do without some of the supplements during this cleanse. :( I'll still stick with the diet and supplemental shakes but may have to refrain from taking the gastro fiber and cleanse supplements. I hope not, though. We're going to check with Standard Process tomorrow to find out more. :)

Sarah @ Fiddledeedee said...

Annie,
This sounds really random, but I have been looking for a liver cleanse! If you don't mind me asking, what made you decide to do this one?
By the way - we are birds of a feather. I love me some Guthrie's, girl! Thus the need for cleansing, right? :)

annieck said...

Hey Sarah! Sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. My computer has been on the fritz! :(

You are right! That love for Guthrie's definitely has our bodies begging for a cleanse (Guthrie's sounds SO good right now!). :)

The reason Channing (my hubby) and I chose this cleanse is because of the company. We learned a lot about Standard Process from Dr. Bob DeMaria. We have several of his great books, and Channing has had the privilege of being involved with him in nutritional training. To call Dr. Bob a nutrition whiz is an understatement! He's amazing. Anyway, Channing did a lot of research on Standard Process and found nothing but great information. So he did his first SP Cleanse in January of '07. He and several patients (and a couple of friends) did a cleanse then and again in July of '07. He and the patients (and our friends) had really great results. Some testified that their blood pressure and cholesterol went down, they all lost weight (one lady lost 20 lbs!) and inches, and most said they had so much more energy.

One of our patients that is doing the cleanse right now said she's never had so much energy. She said that after the cleanse is over, she is going to continue taking some of the supplements (which has pretty much been the norm for most people who have done it).

The cleanse is a little pricey, but Channing and I have found that we have saved a lot of money by eating in (I'm not the best food planner, and since I work in the office too, we were eating out far too much). Too, the cleanse comes with so much. It comes with a 21 day supply of supplements (some last longer). The supplements include: the SP Cleanse for Purification, SP Complete~Nutrition Supplement Shakes (my favorite part), Gastro-Fiber~Fiber Support, and SP Green Foods~Phytonutrients (most patients LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this. Most of our patients who have done the cleanse continue to take this. Some also continue to take the Gastro-fiber).

I started on Monday, and as of yesterday afternoon, I have lost 2 1/2 pounds. :) YEA! I am unable to do the full cleanse. I started out doing the full thing, but since my baby is still nursing, it was affecting his bowels (NOT a good thing), so now I'm basically doing the diet and shakes. Next week, I'll start on the green foods. I'm excited about that part!

If you have any other questions, feel free to email me @ yellowrose20@hotmail.com.
AND THANKS SO MUCH for your awesome Publix research!!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Publix, and you make it SO easy for me!!! MUCHAS GRACIAS, my southern pal! :):):):) Maybe someday we'll have Guthrie's together. :)