Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Birthday to my Sweet Baby Asher

I can't believe it. My sweet sweet baby is officially two years old. Yesterday was his birthday, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I mean, how could it be possible that my baby, my little baby, is two years old?!

We had a great day. It was super busy, but he seemed to enjoy himself, and that's what mattered most. We started the day early (as has been every day since he started sleeping in his new big boy bed). Since he was up so early, I decided to make pancakes (his favorite breakfast). My family, who was in town for Asher's birthday, was pretty impressed with me making breakfast. It's a rare occurrence. I'm more of a cereal person. ;)

Anyway, after breakfast, we were in a rush to get ready for church. Once at church, Asher was moved to a new Sunday school class. This was quite the big deal. He would no longer be hanging out in the walker room. He was/is a big boy. He got moved up to the two year old room. He was a little shy at first, but by the time we picked him up, it was clear that he had enjoyed himself, especially when he got to get a bag and sucker just like his big brother. :)

After church, we had a Mickey Mouse-themed family party for him (he LOVES MM). Of course, Channing, Tristan, and I were there, but also my parents and sister and Channing's parents were there to celebrate with him. Asher loves his Aunt Tay!
And his "popcorn" aka corn on the cob.Although he was a little tired during his party, he loved all the Mickey Mouse stuff and even blew out his candle. :) (On a side note, apparently the people at the Publix bakery assumed Asher was a girl...notice all the hot pink on his cake? Oh well, it tasted good. Thanks to copyright laws, it's hard to find a cute Mickey Mouse cake that actually tastes good.)A little comparison. Last year's cake-eating picture:And this year's picture. Oh, my baby is growing up!!! {sniff}Once he could convince us all to finish eating (he was in a hurry), we headed outside to do some of his favorite things...ride his bicycle and play t-ball. We had a jumping bean up, but he was totally disinterested.Asher riding his new car from MiMi and PaPa.
Our little family with Channing's parents (I know, I'm HUGE. In my defense, I was wearing my loosest and most comfy clothes. Doesn't help much. :)).Us with my parents and sister:Asher loved his new Mickey Mouse car from Nana, PaPa, and Aunt Tay!
After our families left, we took the boys to Target and let them both use money they'd gotten on their birthdays to pick out some things. Tristan picked "Bolt" and Asher picked out a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse DVD. They both picked out toys as well.

From there, we had a small family birthday dinner at Burger King (definitely not a regular occurence. They just happened to have a good playground and Chick-fil-A was closed).
All in all, Sunday was a bittersweet day of many blessings. Asher had a blast on his birthday, and Channing and I had a blast watching him.

My sweet Asher, you are such a blessing. Your name came from Genesis 30:13, and I can totally relate to how Leah felt when she saw her Asher for the first time. Leah named him Asher, for she said, "What joy is mine! The other women will think me blessed indeed." I am SO blessed! You are exactly what your name means, happy and blessed. Not only are you happy and blessed, but your daddy and I are both happy and blessed to be your parents.
Watching you, playing with you, cuddling you, teaching you has been such a joy. I can't tell you the joy I feel whenever you run, walk, talk. You are at such a fun stage, and if I could freeze time, I would. I don't want you to grow up.
I am so amazed and proud to see all that you can do already. Hearing your sweet "Yes ma'ams" when you hear me call your name, your un-prompted "thank-you's" and "bless you's" tug at my heart every time I hear them. Watching you and Tristan together and how much you look up to him just melts my heart. You literally copy everything he does. You love him, and I thank God that you two are so close. What a blessing!
Asher, I pray this next year is a special one for you. I pray that God will bless you and give you favor as you become a big brother yourself, as you grow and learn new things, as you continue to discover your place in this world. I pray that God will work through your daddy and me as we strive to raise you to become a leader in a world that would love nothing more than for you to follow. I wish I could put into words how much I love you and want for you. Just know that you are such an incredible blessing. I could spend days staring at you and never get tired. I LOVE YOU!

My friend, Laura, sent this to me this morning, and it's so special, I have to post it:

Annie,
Hey! I was reading Duet 33 in my devotion this morning and read about the Tribe of Asher...

24The LORD's greatest blessing is for you, tribe of Asher. You will be the favorite of all the other tribes. You will be rich with olive oil 25and have strong town gates with bronze and iron bolts. Your people will be powerful for as long as they live.

I thought of your "Asher" and what blessings will come his way. What a great heritage he has... just in his name!


What makes this email from her even more special is that she had no idea that yesterday was Asher's birthday. Thank you, God, for speaking to us through Laura. YOU are always showing your hand in everything. Thank you that you care even more about Asher than Channing and I do. Thank you, Laura for sharing what God showed you!

I love you, my sweet Asher! Happy happy birthday!!!

3 comments:

The Hairstons said...

It looks like Asher had a great birthday! What a blessing and joy he is! We love you, little guy!!!!

Rachael said...

What a fun day! I can't believe how fast these two years have gone by. It seems like yesterday we were waiting at the hospital for him to be born. He is such a precious little boy. :)

Unknown said...

once again, I am sharing in your bittersweet memories about my own child! It is so rewarding to see your children growing up and knowing that you are raising them right, but it is also heartbreaking to know these days will never come again with them.