Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I Can't Believe It!

Asher has, yet again, proven himself to have impeccable timing. I don't know what it is about him, but he just knows when he needs to give something up. The first major time I can think of him doing this was with nursing. You see, Tristan nursed forever. Really, he did. He nursed for 20 months (I know, it's a long time, but I'm pretty granola. It's healthy, y'all! I cut him off at 20 months, though. I'm granola, but not that granola). Asher cut himself off right before he turned 15 months. He was just over it. He didn't need it anymore.
Well, turns out he was demonstrating his impeccable timing. Reason being, we found out shortly thereafter that we were expecting baby #3. He gave it up at the perfect time!

His latest thing to give up appears to be his crib...again, in impeccable timing! You see, we've been planning on Asher and Tristan sharing a room for a few years. Tristan has the perfect bed to share, a twin over full bunk bed with a trundle, and has been dying to share a room with his little brother. Channing and I have been wanting (needing) to move Asher up but didn't feel like he was ready yet. I was trying to give him at least to his second birthday (this Sunday) but knew it needed to happen soon. Rhiannon is due in eight weeks. We need his room and his crib.

I have worried over this move for many reasons. #1. The boys are upstairs. It made me a little nervous knowing that Asher could get out of bed and head downstairs in the middle of the night. #2. Asher loves his crib. He really does. He eagerly jumps into bed at night. #3. Asher and Tristan have very different sleeping habits. Asher has a tiny night light in his room, while Tristan has a bright one. Asher only likes to sleep alone, and Tristan likes to sleep with whoever is willing. Asher sleeps with the door closed, Tristan open. So different. #4. He's just a baby. He should be in his crib.

Well last night, Asher had different plans. He had a fit to sleep in Tristan's room. So after some discussion, we decided to let him try it (This was our second attempt. He pulled this a couple of nights ago, and he and Tristan both tried to sleep on the trundle {aka: the special bed}. It didn't work out because Asher refused to fall asleep. Seriously, people, the kid doesn't like to sleep in bed w/anyone else). So last night, we made sure Tristan slept on the double, and Asher slept on the trundle. This was the final result:
This child seems set on making my life with baby #3 easier. Thanks, sweet Asher!!!

11 comments:

Beth said...

Found your blog through LeAnne's - hope you don't mind me stopping by! Brooklyn (2) did almost the exact same thing! She just stopped nursing on her own at 15 months and then we found out I was pregnant with #3! Then I dreaded the move from the crib to the "big girl" bed b/c she slept soooo well and went to bed sooo easily in her crib! She's done great though with the transition to Bella's room!

I also noticed the "adjusting" pictures on your sidebar!? I'm assuming your husband is a chiropractor? Mine is as well!!!! Our kids LOVE to get adjusted - fighting over who gets to go first when Brannon pulls out his table at the house!

Good luck with #3!

The Greenfields said...

he is too sweet and i can't believe asher's in a big boy bed!!! wow!! i also can't believe that sweet little girl is due in 8 weeks!! so soon

Shasta said...

That is so great, I'm really glad that it's working out now. All three of our boys currently share a room, we didn't know how it would work when we put the baby in with them but it's worked wonderfully!

Karen said...

he is too cute making room for his little sister!!!! way to go asher!!

LeAnne said...

look at that sweet little man sleeping in a big boy bed:) YAY for Asher (and for mommy and daddy)!! now you guys can get things ready for sweet Rhiannon...awesome!!

The Hairstons said...

That is the sweetest picture! I love the finger in his mouth!

What a big boy!!

Rachael said...

LOVE this picture! He sooo reminds me of his big bro with that finger in his mouth. I am so proud of him...I guess your transition to 3 will be easy!!! Go Asher!!!

Brandi said...

What a big boy! Way to go Asher!

Unknown said...

I am so impressed! Mercy was like that, she weaned herself, went from formula to milk herself, went from bottle to cups herself, crib to toddler bed and started using pullups herself. The only things we worked on were pottying and letting go of the paci.
It does make things easier when you have another one on the way. I am so glad time is short and you will be holding that sweet little one in your arms soon.

AngelGirl said...

i can't believe you are due in 8 wks!! i also can't believe sweet 'baby' Asher will be 2!!! i found his birth announcement the other day!! so happy the transition will be easier now!! miss you all!!

The Hoppers said...

I nursed Lawson til he was 18 months old. I was actually waiting for the "Sign of the feet" in January, which is when the Farmer's Almanac said to wean babies (and animals)! But it seemed like he quit just as my milk dried up. So no engorgement for me. It was great. Perfect timing. And I was pregnant with baby boy #2 for at least three months of nursing and that went well too. We are still attached to the crib though. I am going to keep Lawson there until he can climb out.