Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Servant Life

A couple of months ago (maybe longer, I can't remember), I did a personality profile at church. I posted about my findings. Anyway, one of the things I learned about myself is that I have a fear of being taken advantage of; it was listed as part of my personality. After reading that, I realized it is completely true. I often have that nagging fear in the back of my head and it drives me nuts. I don't like for anyone to be taken advantage of, and that includes myself. When someone I care about is taken advantage of, I stand up for them. When I feel taken advantage of, my natural instinct is to pull away from the person or situation that I feel is taking advantage. Well, over the past several days, I have been reading Jesus' teachings in Matthew out of The Message Translation (can I just say, I love The Message Translation?!). Every day, I have read the same few chapters because I am really trying to soak them into my head and heart. During these readings, one verse just keeps jumping out at me. It's found in the fifth chapter:

And if someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life.

For some of you, this is probably a no-brainer. However, for me, it's HUGE. This is something that requires a lot of focus and determination for me. I have to choose not to take offense when taken advantage of. I have to choose to use those situations as times of servanthood. I don't know if any of you out there are like me, but if you are, you know what I'm saying. It's tough. It is part of my personality, but it is not set in stone. Today, I am going to choose to work on this area of myself. I am choosing to turn this area over to God, ask for His help, and I am going to do my part as well. I'm sure I won't always get it right, but I intend to grow in this area.
Do you have an area in your personality or ways that needs work? If not, as my pastor would say, that may be your problem! Ha! I'm kidding~kinda! =D

1 comments:

MorningSong said...

I see we have some bad habits in common!! So hard to break those core issues, isn't it??!! It can be gut wrenching trying to go against your instincts!! Know you aren't the only one who battles that! I am a justice gal ALL the way and HATE seeing anyone (especially me) being taken advantage of! I do the same as you - isolate! Sorry to say I have no advice - it is tough work!!

Only thing I would say is I've found if I STRAIN to take my eyes off of me, I can actually get through it a little easier each time. I feel like now I am less offended. Hmm. Maybe, it takes more to offend me is a better explanation. So every pain staking effort to change works, but the progress is slow! But once you start seeing progress - YIPPEE! IT IS SO MOTIVATING TO KEEP GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

Blessings!