Monday, February 11, 2008

What a Sting!

I guess I always knew this day was coming; however, I definitely under-estimated the sting it would bring. Today Tristan told me he didn't love me. I had just relieved him from timeout, told him that we would have a "talk" when we got home, and sent him to clean up the Cheerios he had stomped into the carpet. That's when he dropped the bomb..."Mommy...I don't love you." My heart stopped. It hurt so much. I know, I know...he's three years old, and he's just upset because he got in trouble. Nevertheless, it hurt so much. I think I handled it well. I talked to him about the importance of his words and how they hurt. I told him that I love him no matter what and that I know he still loves me. Then, I told him to finish picking up his Cheerios. A couple of minutes later, he said, "Mommy, I love you. I'm sorry I said I didn't." My heart still hurts, I still want to cry, but I was glad to hear those words from him. I never doubted his love, but the words cut like a knife.
It makes me think of how our Heavenly Father must feel to hear His children say they don't love Him; they don't believe in Him. I cannot imagine how it must grieve Him to be ignored by those He loves; to be picked last in so many people's lives. Yet, despite all these things...He still loves all of us. He is always there waiting for us. My heart hurts, but oh how His heart must grieve!
I pray that you know God's love. He is always there, always loving you...no matter where you have been or what you you have done. He loves you in spite of your faults. Just as a mother loves her child, He loves you...actually WAY more. What a blessing. What a miracle! He doesn't treat us as our sin deserves. Amazing.

1 comments:

nick, robyn and taylor said...

What a wonderful reminder, Annie. Thanks for that. Your story brought tears to my eyes as I read it, just thinking about when Taylor will say that and how it will hurt. Then I thought about all the times that I say the same thing to God, not with my words, but through my actions...choosing over and over to do other seemingly important things instead of spending time with Him. So thanks again - gotta go spend time with God!

Robyn