Monday, December 17, 2007

Boys





Being the mother of two boys, I am often asked, "So, are you going to try for a girl?" My reply is always the same, "Honestly, I don't know what I would do with a girl." Then, their usual follow-up reply is, "Oh, but you need a girl." I hear that a lot from my mom (although if we stop at two kids, she would be just fine with that. She LOVES her grandsons!). I hear it a lot from others too. For some people, I think that's true. Some people need a little girl. So far, I haven't felt that "need".
I feel like such a BOY mom, you know? I am all about the rough-housing, tackling, sport watching, mommy-loving little boys. I love to wrestle as much as the next dad. I'll challenge any ref on a bad call during an important game. I'll get out in the backyard and get dirty and sweaty and love every minute of it.
I love that Tristan loves sports. I love that he gets excited every time he sees a dinosaur. I even think it's precious when he sees a princess vanity on t.v. and says, "Mommy, that's for girls. I do not want that for Christmas." I love that one day, my boys will be bigger than I am. I don't know, I just love every part of being a mom to boys.
In high school, I had two close girlfriends and many casual friends that were girls, but when it came down to dependability and trust, I felt more connected to my three best guy friends. With my guy friends, I knew that no matter what, when I told them a secret, it was kept a secret. I knew that if I needed a shoulder to cry on, they would be there. When I needed someone to hang out with, with no drama attached, I could always call them. It was just easy, you know? Now that's not to say I didn't love my girlfriends because I did. I just could easily relate to the guys. They didn't really sweat the small stuff, and they got me. I think that's one of the reasons God has blessed us with boys thus far. For me, they're just easy.
Now girls are precious, precious, precious! They are sweet, like to do sweet girly things, and can grow to be their mommy's best friends (or so my mom always tells me ;D). They have the greatest clothes EVER ( you can find cute girl clothes ANYWHERE! What about my sweet boys, people?!). They think about people's feelings and write sweet notes to their parents (I did for my mom, anyway). I LOVE to play with my friends' little girls. I love to hear their stories, and watch them priss and prance around. I love to talk to them about all their beautiful clothes, purses, and make-up. It's a blast! It's precious! However, when it comes right down to it, I just cannot imagine my life with a little girl.
In the future, Channing and I have talked about the desire to have another child...WAAAAY in the future! Currently my hope is to have another little boy. I just want a house full of boys! Although that is my current desire, I know that God knows what's best, and if He gave us a girl, I know I would figure out how to be her mommy. I know I would love her just as much as my little boys and would be so thankful for her. I guess only time will tell. It will be interesting to see how our lives play out. In the meantime, I will enjoy the company of my friends' little girls. In just a few months, I will get to meet a very special little girl...Baby Girl Miller! I am SO excited and can hardly wait. Who can resist a sweet little Crimson Tide girl?!
In closing, I will say that I do have an urging desire for Channing to have a daddy's girl...totally for him, not for me. We have two little mommy's boys...110%. I know things could change in the future, but for now it's all about mommy. Don't get me wrong, our boys love their daddy, but are super attached to me!

6 comments:

dev said...

I totally get that, except it's opposite for me! Everyone always asks if we're going to try for a boy. Why would anyone "try" for a boy/girl? The chances will ALWAYS be 50-50! I'm not sure I could handle a boy! Of course, I would LOVE one, not to mention my boy name that I have loved for years!

I have a four nephews and they are all so sweet, so I can get my boy fix through them for now. :) They are sooo different though! Night and day!

Wes is 100% happy with our girls and is all for stopping at two. I love that he doesn't "need" a boy, kinda like how you don't "need" a girl. Having a mommy's boy is very tempting as we have such a daddy's girl in SK and NB isn't far behind her. SK made the switch from mommy's girl to daddy's girl at around 18 months (she's 17 mo. right now).

I'm the oldest of three girls, so that possibility doesn't really scare me like it would some. I'd love to have another girl 'cause they are so much fun!

I guess we, too, will just have to wait and see! :)

annieck said...

Well said, Devan! If I ever have a little girl one day, I know I'll be coming to your for advice! :) You're a seasoned pro!!!

Brandi said...

If Baby Girl Miller is like her mom and all of the other women in our family she will be playing in the mud and wrestling with your boys. My aunt actually told me last week she hoped the baby was a girly girl. My response was "WHY?" I won't have a clue how to deal with that. I imagine that both of us could learn how to be girly moms if we had to. Our little girl just has no hope though since her daddy wants to train her to be the kicker for the Crimson Tide.

annieck said...

No doubt, if I had a girl, she would be just like your little girl is going to be...all about sports and playing in the mud. I am SO not a girly girl. However, you MUST get little Baby Miller some pretty smocked dresses. It's imperative!
I can't wait to meet her and spoil her rotten. I'll get my girl fix through you guys. You can train me on parenting a girl just in case we have one one day!
I can't wait to meet the little Tider!!! I know she'll be a beautiful, precious little girl. :D

annieck said...

No doubt, if I had a girl, she would be just like your little girl is going to be...all about sports and playing in the mud. I am SO not a girly girl. However, you MUST get little Baby Miller some pretty smocked dresses. It's imperative!
I can't wait to meet her and spoil her rotten. I'll get my girl fix through you guys. You can train me on parenting a girl just in case we have one one day!
I can't wait to meet the little Tider!!! I know she'll be a beautiful, precious little girl. :D

MorningSong said...

It is great that you are content either way! Of course you know if you were to have a girl, she would fit right in! And what better family to fit into??? She would have older brothers to pound any guys that came her way! :) If all boys - you won't have any complaints either! ha ha