Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Tristan's Lesson For Me

We have been dealing with some tough times lately, as you've probably read, but today God gave me a revelation through my three year old. Today was Tristan's gingerbread party at school, and each kid was supposed to have someone in attendance with them. I was Tristan's one person.
So this morning, I hurriedly got Tristan dressed and ready for school, dropped him off, headed home, fed Asher, changed his clothes, and got myself ready. Can you say rushed?! Then Channing called me and and told me he needed his phone for an important call he was expecting (he had accidentally grabbed my phone instead of his when he left for work), AND since I was coming anyway, he needed me to bring some Christmas decorations to the office. That threw a little wrench into my plans. I had not given myself enough time to fit that little pit stop in, but I made it work. Anyway, after running the phone to him and unloading the pictures on my digital camera, I raced off to Tristan's school. I got there at 12:02, and the party started at 12:00.
I quickly jumped out, got Asher's stroller, loaded him up, and sprinted to the party. I entered the party room at about 12:06, and just as I feared...I was the last mommy there! Out of the three or four kindergarten classes in attendance, my child was the only one without someone special to help him decorate his gingerbread house (let me change that wording...he did have his teacher helping him, and she is special. He just didn't have me there). I expected him to be upset, crying maybe, worried, wondering or upset about where I had been and what had taken me so long. I got NONE of that. He was just excited that I was there. I asked him if he thought I wasn't coming. Do you know what his answer was?
No, Mommy, I knew you were coming. I was waiting for you.
Wow! Here I am...late, and not just late...the LAST one there! He never lost faith in me. He knew that I told him I was coming and that because that was the word I had given, he could expect me to be there.
Immediately, God put on my heart...This is the faith I want you to have. Don't worry about where I am. I know the situation you're in. I'm on my way. Don't lose faith. Trust that I have not forgotten about you. I have a plan.
Thank you, Tristan, for teaching me about child-like faith. Thank you for reminding me that God has given me His Word, and His promises are true. Never will He leave me, never will He forsake me. His ways are not my ways. He has plans to prosper me and not to harm me; to give me hope and a future.
Thank you, God, for using my sweet boy to teach me one of life's greatest lessons. Just like Chris Tomlin's song, Everlasting God, that we sang at church tonight says (further confirmation from God. He is SO amazing!):

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord

Our God You reign forever
Our hope, Our strong deliverer

You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint, You won't grow weary

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord,
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord

Our God You reign forever
Our hope, Our strong deliverer

You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint, You won't grow weary

You're the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need
You lift us up on wings like eagles

Our God You reign forever
Our hope, Our strong deliverer

You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint, You won't grow weary

You're the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need
You lift us up on wings like eagles

God, You are everlasting


Wow! If that's not God speaking to me, then I don't know what is. What a great day it's been! Thank you, Morningsong for your encouragement, and thank you, God, for the hope you have placed in me. I truly am blessed beyond measure!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this story! you are really teaching me a lot, annie! i am enjoying your blog!

MorningSong said...

I love the personal touches God brings to our lives!! I am more and more thankful when I notice them. It makes me realize how much I've missed in the past. Back when I would follow my distraction instead of looking (expectedly) for God to show up!! I am thankful you were so gracefully cared for on that special day and I am more thankful that you didn't miss it!!

God is always near!!

Blessings friend!! (great gingerbread house too!!!)

annieck said...

Thanks, Ladies!
You both teach me so much. I am so grateful.